Friday, August 19, 2016

Kitchen Cabinet Chalk Paint Makeover: Part III

[Be sure to check out Part I and Part II if you haven't already!]

If you can't tell, I'm breaking down this cabinet painting project into lots of bite-size blog posts. First of all, it's much more manageable than trying to do just a couple massive ones. Second of all, this project in itself is very loooong and drawn out as part of a total kitchen renovation that's becoming quite the behemoth. It will probably be a 10-part blog series by the time it's all said and done!

Anyway, I've completed all of the upper cabinets, which are painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Pure White.  We then ripped out the countertops (to eventually be replaced with butcher block) on one side of the kitchen so I could start painting those cabinets with Annie Sloan Graphite.  


Bye bye, honey oak!

Luckily the Graphite is darker and therefore has better coverage than the Pure White.  I was able to get away with just two coats on the inside of the cabinet doors, and three (for good measure) on the fronts. This also means I might be able to cover all the lower cabinets with just one can of chalk paint... my fingers are crossed. This stuff isn't cheap!


After one coat... definitely streaky.

After three coats.

Similar to the upper cabinets, I also sanded the edges of these doors & drawers to create a distressed look. As careful as I tried to be with the sandpaper, it honestly looked pretty dreadful when I was done. All I could do was hope the clear wax would help give it all a uniform look.



Doors & drawer faces before waxing.

Thankfully, the wax did its job!  It made the color richer and more even around all those edges.

Left door has one coat of wax; right door has no wax.

Drawer faces after one coat of wax.

Sneak peek with hardware added.

And, here are the cabinets which we had to pull away from the wall in order to remove all the countertop and backsplash.  (That's a whole different blog post in itself... it was NOT fun!) In an effort to conserve as much paint as possible, I'm not bothering to paint the sides of the cabinets because they'll always be hidden by the stove.


As of right now, I still have to paint the lower cabinets on the other side of the kitchen.  In the meantime, it's been great fun having pieces and parts of our kitchen spread out across the house.  Pots and pans in the guest bedroom... microwave propped up on 2x4s in the living room... we're living the homeowners' dream, I tell ya!

Stay tuned for the next update...



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails