Monday, March 12, 2018

Home Exterior Painting Decisions: A Gray Area (Part III)

I don't know if you've been following along with my last couple blog posts, but I have a problem and it goes by the name of "Gray." This should come as no surprise to anyone, as I've had plenty of experience with gray paint in our house. This decision feels a little more nerve-racking than usual though, since it involves painting the entire exterior of our house (and paying someone else to do it).

The latest update in the saga is that I've tried out five samples of Sherwin-Williams colors:

It's quite a range from light to dark and warm to cool. But we're going for a dramatic change from what we have now, which rules out Dovetail and Classic French Gray (although these are lovely colors which I would definitely consider for an interior room in the future). 

Top: Gauntlet Gray
Bottom: Dovetail

Top to bottom:
Classic French Gray, Gauntlet Gray, and Westchester Gray

Based on the samples I've painted on the side of our house, Gauntlet Gray has a lot of brown undertones, which probably makes it a safe choice. The lady at Sherwin-Williams said it's also pretty popular for exteriors. Westchester Gray is a nice, medium cool gray (but maybe too cool??). And Peppercorn is more of a dark charcoal-ish. I'm digging the Peppercorn but it's hard to tell whether it has any blue tones (which we want to avoid) when it's next to the brown-ish Gauntlet Gray.

Peppercorn in the sample container. It looks like it has brown undertones here...


Top to bottom:
Peppercorn, Gauntlet Gray, and Westchester Gray

Don't pay attention to the pile of orange bricks above. We do, however, have reddish brick on the front of our house which needs to be taken into consideration for this decision. So I painted a small section of the Peppercorn next to some of the brick. I think it works...


If we did go with something as dark as Peppercorn for our siding, we're considering getting a white carriage garage door which would brighten things up and boost our curb appeal general. So much to think about! For reference, here's a photo of our house as it is now:


And here are a couple inspiration photos I found on Pinterest that supposedly feature a Peppercorn exterior with brick and white trim:

{via Pinterest}

{via Pinterest}

It's worth noting that I'm not necessarily tied to Sherwin-Williams colors, but haven't tried out any other brands for comparison at this point. The SW store is just really close and convenient, and I know they have a good color selection! 

So what are your thoughts on our direction so far? Are we getting too dark and dramatic with Peppercorn? Should we stick with the safer choice of Gauntlet Gray? Help!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

My house is similar in that I have red brick and siding which I am going to paint gray. I like the Gauntlet Gray based on the colors you show. What did you end up deciding to do? If you have any pics, would love to see the new exterior.

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Sorry for my delayed response! We ended up going with Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal at 75% strength. I'm super happy with it, but I would have felt safe choosing Gauntlet Gray too! You can see the new exterior pics here: http://ourhouseonthecorner.blogspot.com/2018/06/home-exterior-painting-perfect-gray.html?m=1

Unknown said...

Helpful to see the samples. I am trying to decide which gray for my house as well.

Unknown said...

What color is the 924 house number the last house in this post thanks.

kfdmccauley said...

I am looking at similar colors for my house. I really like the peppercorn color. I am a little afraid to go from white to that color because our house is all white with dark stained posts and shutters. We have red bricks for the steps only.

Levi Bryde said...

The most essential aspect of home upkeep is painting the inside and outside of the property. Because painting may improve the overall appearance of a home. Painting your home walls may also protect them from damage caused by the sun, water, and dust. In contrast, if you are considering painting your home, you should employ only the most qualified painters. This is due to the fact that the finest home painters will offer the greatest house painting service possible. Professional painters Covington.

Unknown said...

Hi-
Would you consider Westchester Gray a medium tone. How do you think it would look on a cottage style house with white trim? Thanks!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails