Friday, June 13, 2014

DIY Contemporary Canvas Artwork

In case you haven't been following along lately, we recently painted our master bedroom and bathroom. I in the process, I had to remove the decorative vinyl lettering which had lived on the wall above our soaker tub for several years. But I already had a plan for what to replace it with, thanks to Pinterest.

The Pinspiration:

This was actually an idea I'd pinned at least a couple years ago (so don't give up on those old pins; you never know when you'll get motivated!). I thought the above DIY version of a World Market painting was pretty awesome. And from the looks of it, pretty foolproof. So I set off to Hobby Lobby in search of the materials:
  • Canvas (I chose 22" x 28" so as not too look too underwhelming on the large wall)
  • Ivory spray paint
  • Paint marker (I got a Sharpie oil-based marker in brown)
  • Round foam pouncers
  • Acrylic paints (I got the exact same colors listed on Two Girls Being Crafty, because I liked hers so much. And let's face it, it made my decision-making process much easier.)
All in all, I was able to get everything for under $30.



I went ahead and spray painted the entire canvas Ivory to tone down the bright white. Then, after overcoming my initial hesitation to put marker to canvas, I started drawing on the branches. The key is probably to avoid over-thinking this part.  I don't think you can really mess it up.



Then it was just a matter of pouring a little of each acrylic paint onto a paper plate and going crazy with the pouncers (that's just a fun word to say, isn't it?). This part took awhile, but again, SO easy. If there was a hard part, it was just trying to decide which colors to put where, especially once the canvas starts filling up. It's supposed to be random, of course, but sometimes being random on purpose is challenging!



I probably could have kept adding more circles and branches, but finally I cut myself off. I was pretty happy with my finished artwork! It looks great on the shelf and adds a fun pop of color to our bathroom. Now, I realize this does not make me an artist by any stretch of the imagination. But I still had to give myself a little pat on the back after this project. Sometimes you just never know how these things are going to turn out.

Tall ceilings = so much space!



Have you ever created any DIY canvas artwork?



Linking up to:
Weekend Bloggy Reading @ Serenity Now

3 comments:

Marleah said...

I love how this turned out. Clever idea, and I never knew what those little things were called. The bathroom looks great!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Thanks! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Super duper cute! Love all the colors.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails