Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I need some console-ation, please

If there's one area of our house that has really provided some design challenges for me, it would be our front entryway. I don't even really know what to call this space. Calling it an actual room seems generous. It's just the space that people walk through to get from the dining room to the living room or the hallway. The layout is just weird to me... It's not a very functional use of space at all, and I just haven't figured out how to bring out its full potential.

 
I think the space in front of the picture window is technically a "formal dining room" because of the placement of the light fixture (which the builders put there). But if so, it's pretty small and impractical.
  
 Well anyway... for now I'll focus on just one corner of this "room"  -- the wall behind the door. It was just a few months ago that we finally hung up a picture there so it wouldn't look so empty. That helped a little, but it still seems barren to me.

I think that a small console table could be the solution for this space. And it would also give me more shelf space to display pretty things.  :)  I've been looking around for the perfect one, but haven't quite found the right combination of looks, size, and price.
Adams Console Table from Target - $125.99
A little bit too long and deep, but close to something that I'd want.

Anywhere Console Table from Pier 1 - $199.95
This has a different look with the drawers in the middle, but I think I really like it! Alas, I am too much of a cheapskate to spend this much.

The good news is, my husband is pretty handy with power tools and has built a couple pieces of furniture for us before (I'll save those for another post). He's offered to build a console table for me if I figure out all the dimensions and what I want it to look like. And considering that we already have some wood on hand, it would hopefully be an affordable project. The only drawback is it could take awhile because Luke has a lot of other stuff keeping him busy, too. So I wouldn't get the immediate gratification of just going out and buying something, but I suppose it's worth the trade-off! 

I know that I'd like it to have a simple, clean design -- nothing too ornate or heavy (I don't want to add to the production time!). A drawer or two would be nice, and possibly another shelf at the bottom. And maybe it should be taller than it is wide, so as not to block the sidelight. The other piece of furniture we have in this "room" (on the opposite wall) is black with a rubbed, antique-looking finish -- so a console table should probably match that?? 

What do you think? Have you seen any fab console tables lately that I could use for inspiration? Or maybe you have another idea altogether for this space, in which case, lemme hear it!

It might be awhile, but I'll be sure to update you on what we end up doing! (Will Luke actually build a console table? Will I get frustrated and impatient and just end up shelling out the $$ for one at the store? Or will I find a piece with potential on craigslist? Stay tuned...)


19 comments:

kristi.w. said...

This is crazy because I was just writing a post about how I want to build a console table. Here is the one that I'm in love with:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/hyde-console-table/?pkey=x|4|1||10|console||0&cm_src=SCH

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Kristi - that IS crazy! The PB table is very cool and it would be super-easy to build something like that for so much cheaper (at least that's what my husband would say!). We'll have to share some tips with each other on our console table experiences! :)

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

look at how much room you have! holy moly, amanda. there is SO MUCH you could do.

first, i really like that you're looking to make the space USABLE. interstitial or circulation areas -- to me -- can be the most interesting spaces if they function properly.

here's what i'd do if it were me, based on this photo alone:
-paint the moulding and the walls the same color to make them blend together. then paint the door and sidelights a different color to make them pop. think cream walls and trim with a charcoal door or gray walls with a deep turquoise-blue door. keep in mind that this may change what you're doing with your flooring and other visible wall colors.
-replace the front door with a full single lite door to let in more light.
-i think it would be really neat to see a floor to ceiling collection of funky vintage art on the wall with a few dainty mirrors thrown into the mix. i'd fill most of the wall.
-is there room for a built-in bookcase somewhere in that space? that would turn it into a usable area (and would look lovely!)... you could also put a side chair depending on the layout. and if you're able to unify the flooring, you could define a reading space with an area rug.

just a few ideas! can't wait to see what you do with it. i wish we had all that room -- not to mention sidelights and a transom!

kelly

The Whispering Creek House said...

wow some great ideas coming from the other gals! i love the idea of a console. it looks like you have a plug in so a lamp is a must! it gives off such a homey feeling when you walk into the room..and a pretty tray for keys and change a basket under for your purse and shoes..some personal photos and i think walla wonderful and welcoming entry!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Kelly - thanks for giving me so many ideas! I find it very encouraging! I wouldn't be too opposed to painting walls except that all of our walls blend into each other because we have archways (plus several of the walls don't go all the way to the ceiling), so I'd almost have to paint EVERYthing.

I would looove to have a built-in bookcase somewhere... maybe on the other side of this room? I thought about turning that side into some sort of reading/breakfast nook, with a small chair or two...

Stephanie - If I put a console table there, I think I'll definitely have a lamp to add to that homey feel! Maybe I'll find another bargain at Pier 1 or even Goodwill :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Lucky you with the personal furniture maker! I think whatever you choose, go with more than one shelf. You'll have more space to create displays and store things.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

send your guy over here to build bookcases for me! that sounds awesome.

:)

kelly

Dolores said...

I had a similar dilemma with my hallway wall. I needed a small and narrow console table because I had little walk-space to work with. We went with the "Tao Foyer Table" from World Market and it was perfect with a 12" depth size.

Good luck with the table hunt...or convincing your woodworker to start crafting!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Dolores - Thanks for sharing! I really like the angled style of that table; I think I've actually seen it before at World Market. It's about the right size, too, and on sale! Hmmmm..... :)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

I love my Ajara foyer table from World Market! It's only 11 inches deep and on sale for $149!

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3557678

Unknown said...

You have a huge entry way, I'd call it a foyer! Love those :)

If I were you - I'd likelt paint the trim white, it looks more fresh and modern. I replace your artwork with a large piece or a modern style candle holder iron thinking CB2, then look on Craiglist and Thrift stores for a console table - just in case your hubby is stil too busy to make one.

I might paint the door too and sidelights white...

What about a console table or bench in front of your window? Ok I'm just going on and on...just don't feel stuck this is a great HUGE space

Jenny said...

If you could find it you could use a skinny dresser then, too. Or even a fatter table cut in half and mounted to the wall so it only had two legs. I'm always trying to figure out garage sale stuff.

I've also seen where people just put a cleat on the wall and then mount a piece of barn board or something to the top and screw in two Home Depot turned legs to bottom front.

Cute blog.

I'll be back.

Danielle and Clint said...

Love the idea of a console table!! And it's the perfect spot. I love how open the space is also! You could do lots with it!!

Gonezo said...

Boy that's a tricky spot!

micah said...

I think a console table is a great idea! I like the one Sara posted from World Market, I think it fits with the style of your house (not too modern).

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I like the idea of having your hubs build one! That way you're sure to have it fit your specs. :) Thanks so much for stopping by and offering your ideas! :)

DeeAnna said...

You may want to check your local Goodwill or thrift store for a console table. I see them all the time! The trick to thrift shopping is that you have to go often, but a little paint and you can have the table you want for a very small investment!

Amanda @ Little House on the Corner said...

Thanks for the tip, Dee! The Goodwill I go to doesn't usually have much furniture, but there is another one I need to check out. And I definitely need to find some good thrift stores around here!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails