While we did get the butcher block countertops installed on one side of our kitchen, the counters for the other side have been on hold until we get the new farmhouse sink in. And that was on hold until we got a new base cabinet built to hold it.
Let me rewind, as this tends to get confusing quickly. Here's a look at our old setup with the standard stainless steel sink (say that five times fast!) and the higher countertop.
I took this picture while we were getting our ceiling re-finished, hence all the plastic.
And, just so we still have a functioning sink during this long, drawn-out process, we moved our old sink and cabinet over to to the opposite side and hooked up all the plumbing. Fun times!
As you can tell, I don't bother trying to clean up dishes or stage a picture to look less messy anymore. Just keepin' it real, people.
Okay, back to where this project currently stands. My husband handily re-purposed a lot of 2x4s and oak boards that we've had stored in our garage to build the new cabinet framework. It's quite sturdy, in order to support the 150 lb. farmhouse sink! Last weekend it was my turn to work some magic with chalk paint to transform the cabinet and the existing doors. (Read more about my kitchen cabinet painting process.)
Once the painting and waxing was done, it was time to place the sink! The two of us were able to lift that cast iron beast ourselves and somehow managed to slide it into the framework without anyone getting injured. I'm really happy with how the Kohler double-bowl farmhouse sink looks with the distressed graphite cabinet. Things are coming together, ever-so-slowly but surely.
For now, that's as far as we've gotten with the sink (although we do have our new faucet, sink strainer, and disposal all on hand). You can only get so much done on evenings and weekends! But it's one step closer to being able to continue installing the butcher block countertop and new breakfast bar... stay tuned for the next update, hopefully sooner rather than later.