Monday, June 4, 2012

Simple Spray Paint Makeovers

The power of spray paint never ceases to amaze me. Case in point: three mini-makeovers from the past week.

Exhibit A – Spruced Up Sticks
My neighbor’s yard is often littered with twigs from her trees. One of those trees in particular—I’m not sure what kind it is--has some very unique, wavy branches. I never really thought much of this until recently when I realized I could use these branches as decor. With this vision in mind, I began the search for a large floor vase and found one at Gordman’s for $30.

Then, I picked out a few of the best-looking twigs from our neighbor’s yard and spray painted them silver. Easy peasy!






Exhibit B – “Tray” Chic
I have a black photo display tray that was given to me as a gift a couple years ago. For awhile, I had it sitting on a side table in our living room, but eventually it wore out its welcome and was relegated to the closet. Armed with my can of Rustoleum “Eden” spray paint—and some new photos to display from our recent vacation—I dusted off the tray and turned it from drab to fab!



The bright green gives it new life, and this color also matches one of the colors I used for my DIY medallion mirrors. I chose to display some close-up black & white photos of a few landmarks in Europe.

Exhibit C – Trash-tastic Transformation
During a recent treasure-hunting trip to Goodwill, I snagged a silver wastebasket for $2.99. It was already an improvement over the ugly blue plastic one in our hall bathroom; however, most of our accents/fixtures are oil-rubbed bronze. So… this presented the perfect opportunity to try out some oil-rubbed bronze spray paint! I did have to go out and buy a can (Rustoleum again), but it didn’t cost me anything since I used a merchandise rebate at Menard’s.


It actually turned out pretty good, and if I didn't know any better, I'd think it was originally purchased this way. (In fact, I just saw a basic oil-rubbed bronze wastebasket at Target for $19.99!)

For now, I think I’ve run out of things to spray paint, but I’m sure it won’t be long before I take aim at my next victim target. In the meantime, my trigger finger needs to recover.

Linking up to:
Be Inspired Link Party @ Elizabeth & Co.

5 comments:

Lets just build a house! said...

Spray paint seems to be my best buddy too sometimes! I love the trash can especially good job. Also, those sticks are great, you can buy wavy ones for like 10 bucks at hobby lobby...or go to your neighbors yard to find a few ;)

Antonella @ Love Your Home said...

Hi there, I found you on houseblogging.

I have done a similar painting project for a tray that was a gift as well. I didn't use spray paint though. Yours looks nice!

If you want to see mine, here is the link: http://loveyourhomewithstyle.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tray-makeover.html.

Oona Johnson said...

I love the vase you picked! We never have anything that cool at our Gordman's...

Love ORB-ed trash can. The Rustoleum ORB makes anything awesomer.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Behold the power of spray paint!

Toodie said...

I love spray paint! It's one of my best friends, I think. LOL Love the tray and the garbage can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails