Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Dyson: It sucks.

When my sister told me she bought a Dyson several years ago, I remember asking her, "You spent HOW much?!" Being the cheapskate I am, I could never see myself spending hundreds of dollars on a stinkin' vacuum cleaner. I mean, is it really worth it?

Well, that was before we bought a house. And acquired a cat who loves to leave a little bit of herself behind everywhere she goes. Up until a few months ago, this is what we were cleaning our house with: 


Sure, it worked fine for the 800 sq. ft. apartment (with mostly concrete floors) that we used to live in, but this little Eureka was not made to handle a whole house. Even after vacuuming with it, the carpet still felt matted down and grungy.

So when Black Friday rolled around last year, I found out that Best Buy was going to be offering the Dyson Absolute Animal DC17 for a mere $350 (about $200 less than regular price). As much as it pained me, I knew we needed the upgrade desperately. After all, a $350 vacuum that lasts for years and years (or forever??) is cheaper than buying a new vacuum every few years.


After a few months of using this baby, I can safely say the Dyson sucks...in a good way! We could tell a big difference in the feel of our carpet the first time we used it. It was much fluffier and you could actually SEE that the floors had been vacuumed. Obviously, we only had a very inferior vacuum to compare it with, but I'm fairly certain this thing could suck the stripes off a zebra. In fact, I think it's still sucking up new carpet fuzz, which means it's either a very powerful vacuum, or we just have cheap carpet (probably a little of both). I also use it on our hardwood floors.

Mr. Eureka doesn't stand a chance.

The Dyson came with the Zorb carpet powder (which I haven't tried yet), and other attachments including a mini turbine head, which is great for cleaning up pet hair (I'm talking to you, Phoebe). I usually don't mind cleaning in general, but vacuuming is definitely much more enjoyable now! The only frustration I have with it is that the wand is so long, it can get a little awkward using it. (Unless there's a way to shorten it that I haven't figured out yet.) On the other hand, the long wand can come in handy in some situations.

Are there any household items or appliances you've discovered that are worth the high price (painful as it may be)?

9 comments:

The Brick Cottage said...

Oh, I would love to have a Dyson! We really haven't spent any money on upgrading our appliances yet but I do dream of the day I have a kitchenaid mixer and a nice blender.

kristi.w. said...

Oooh a Dyson! Last year we bought a Bissell that was said to be as good as a Dyson Animal. Since I don't have a Dyson, I can't compare. It's been crazy good compared to our old vacuum, but it does have issues sometimes with various filters getting clogged. Before that though, I wrote a haiku review of it that you can check out here:
http://chateauwhitman.blogspot.com/2009/09/haiku-review-bissell-vacuum-cleaner.html

micah said...

Glad to hear the Dyson is working out for you!

I'd have to say our Starbucks barista has been a good investment... we can whip up a latte or americano at home instead of paying $3-4 dollars a pop.

Hillary @ The Sweet Maple Life said...

I received my vac as a house warming gift, but it was totally worth my money that my parents spent!! I love it!!!!! You can read all about my nerdy love of my vacuum here:
http://thesweetmaplelife.wordpress.com/2010/01/24/for-the-love-of-vacuums/

And I know this isn't a real appliance- but the almost $200 I spent on my Sedu flatiron is TOTALLY worth it!! I have curly hair, anything that can get my hair straight without damaging it becomes my lifesaver!

Marleah said...

Yours is actually the second rave review I'm heard of this vacuum. We have all wood/tile floors now, but a vacuum would still be nice so I don't have to chase the dog hair with a broom. If we ever have carpet again, I'm going to look into this.

Meg said...

Dear lord, that vacuum is sexy! Sad to say, but I'm cheap through and through. You know how they say a good house has a mix of cheap and a few big ticket items? Yeah, we're all cheap around here. But I plan to change that soon! We inherited the former owner's vacuum (which is definitely very old), and as soon as that dies, I might have to copy you and get a Dyson.

Heather said...

My Dyson MIGHT be my best friend. I'm a little bit obsessed with it.

We were lucky enough to be gifted with our lovely Dyson when we got married and I am SO thankful every time I clean - it's amazing and SO worth the $$$!

There are few house things I will splurge on, but I am a full-on Dyson convert and our only other real appliance-type splurge is our Keurig coffee maker - a must-have for any coffee lover and worth every penny! :)

Danielle and Clint said...

My best friend got a Dyson for a wedding gift and loves it!

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

Oh I am just about to get a new vacuum and have been considering the Dyson. I have a cat who sheds his weight everyday. Thanks for your review Amanda, it's making my decision easier.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails