Monday, August 8, 2011

Live and learn.

Okay.  Y'all were right.

Things are getting a little out of control back here in my "garden."




My plants are ginormous, threatening to overtake the sidewalk. But still no sign of any cucumbers, green beans, or zucchini. I think I planted the seeds either in late May or early June, so it's been about two months. According to the seed packets, they should all be ready to harvest anywhere from 50-60 days after planting. Needless to say, I'm starting to get a little antsy. However, it has been ridiculously hot the past few weeks, and even though I'm trying to water them often, maybe they're protesting the heat wave. If so, I guess I can't really blame them.

3 comments:

Kate said...

lol, at least it's green! If it were my garden I'm sure it'd all be brown by now :)

Danielle and Clint said...

Gotta love the vining plants. Give it till the end of this month. It will be coming out of your ears!

Amanda- Hip House Girl said...

Danielle is right- and make sure you check them carefully every single day, or you'll have baseball bat sized zucchini!

Also, my plants have been pretty huge but not producing a ton of fruit. If you don't see bees and bugs frequently buzzing around your plants, you may want to try fertilizing the flowers yourself. The male flowers (at least on zucchini and squash plants) are just on the ends of the stems, but the female flowers are on the ends of tiny-looking fruit. You can take a feather and get some pollen from a male and put it in the female flower if you're worried that for some reason the bugs aren't doing the trick. (I feel a little dirty writing this, haha! I need to grow up.)

Good luck with your harvest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails