Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Framed" Canvas Artwork

Awhile back, I received a special offer from EasyCanvasPrints.com for a free 8x10 canvas print. Of course I wasn't going to refuse this, and I even decided to pay a little extra for a slightly larger 11x14 print. It took forever to choose a photo from my own collection, but I decided on one from our honeymoon in northern California. I love this photo because it's such a relaxing scene. The beach was virtually empty that day, and it's just so vast.

Original photo from my camera:

The ordering process was quick and easy, and in a few days I received the print on my doorstep!


Detail of canvas: 

I have to say, I thought the quality of the print was pretty good, considering the resolution of my photo wasn't that big to begin with. Plus, the frame already had a hook attached to the back of it, so hanging it on the wall was a breeze. I decided to put it in our bedroom, which is otherwise devoid of artwork. Here it is above the chest of drawers:



I know what you're thinking: It looks a little puny in this space. I agree. I probably should have gone with a 16x20, but we all know what a cheapskate I am. So a little creativity was in order. My idea was to paint a rectangle behind the canvas to expand the print and act as a "frame."

After some measuring (which my husband probably wouldn't have approved of), leveling, and taping (with leftover ScotchBlue Painter's Tape with Edge-Lock Protector from my bathroom makeover), this was my outline. I allowed for 1.5" of border on each side.


After mulling over tons of paint samples, I decided to go with a very light color called Breakwater White by Behr. I got a sample size for $2.94 at Home Depot, which was more than enough to give my frame a couple coats. And worse case scenario, I could either paint another color over it, or go back to the original wall color.

[FYI: I also had an alternative motive for trying this out. Our walls are pretty textured, so I wanted to see how crisp of a line I could get with the ScotchBlue Edge-Lock tape (since I have another larger painting project up my sleeve). So this was a good way for me to experiment on a small scale first, therefore avoiding potentially catastrophic results later.]

Looking pretty good so far...


Ready for the "framed" artwork?


When the corner light is on, the canvas casts a shadow. (And yes, those are the same $5 temporary paper window shades we've had for three years.)


Okay, so... I don't think I'm in love with the results. In my head, it looked much better. On the wall, it just looks white and flat. Should I have used a different color (darker or lighter than the wall color)? Or made the border bigger? Not painted it at all? Or just let it grow on me? Any suggestions? (Other than going back in time and ordering a larger canvas to begin with.)





P.S. For those who are curious, my paint lines unfortunately did not turn out perfectly. There were a few little spots where the paint leaked under the tape, even though I had tried to press it onto the wall really firmly. I think this can just be chalked up to one of the downfalls of having textured walls. Boo. The good thing is, you don't really notice it unless you get up close. Nonetheless, I may have to alter my future painting plans...

3 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I think it looks really good. But, I think a larger square would have worked, too, and maybe you could get a crisper line. (Try painting the wall color first along the tape line, letting it dry and then painting the white line and tearing it off. Crisp every time.)

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I think it is still a bit small for the space. A larger painted square might help, maybe in a bolder color? Or maybe you can leave as-is and hang various smaller sized prints around it to make a photo collage of sorts?

One other idea: whenever I want to try a new project but am not sure how it's going to turn out, I usually do a few Google searches to see if anyone else has had the same idea. Then I can see how theirs turned out. Sometimes people have transformed my original idea into something greater than I could have ever imagined! :)

Indian Pharmacy said...

hello, i think that this post is very goodl, i would like to read more about this topic.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails