Thursday, July 21, 2011

Don't count your veggies before they grow

Okay. I'm trying not to get too excited about this.

Remember when I decided to start a vegetable garden?


I have a bit of a black thumb and admittedly didn't really know what I was doing. Planting seeds seems easy enough, but I figured if there was a way to screw it up, I would.

Well, here's what it looks like now. Be still, my beating heart!



Somehow, I have managed to keep my vegetables alive, even despite the scorching heat we've had! I would say the cucumbers are thriving the most, followed by the zucchini and then the green beans.

I should probably mention that in my initial post, a couple of you gave some helpful recommendations to get some chicken wire or fencing for the vines to grow up instead of out. So they wouldn't get out of control. As you can see, I did not heed that well-meaning advice. My only excuse is pure laziness. At this point I've decided to just let them grow wherever they may.

Not all of the seeds I planted survived, but that's probably a good thing given the limited space here. I'm also seeing some yellow blossoms on the cucumbers... another promising sign, yes?


It looks like they should start producing any time now, but I still haven't seen anything yet... So I'll continue to wait and remain cautiously optimistic about my future veggie crop. Cross your fingers for me!

5 comments:

Lucky Girl said...

Looking good! I hope you get some good eats from that garden!

Kate said...

Woohooo! Fingers crossed for you! I have a black thumb too, so I'll be pulling for you to have lots of great veggies!

Danielle and Clint said...

Great job! I noticed that during the summer, I tend to not have as many veggies, but by the beginning of fall, they are coming out of my ears!

Holyoke Home said...

You'll heed our advice next year!!!! I guarantee it! Get ready for lots of gazpacho!

Indian Pharmacy said...

oh I think this is the third and final part of your vegetable garden, and the result is very cool, great idea and I might convert my garden in a vegetable garden as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails