Saturday, February 13, 2010

Front Door Facelift

Well, it was bound to happen eventually. After my sister painted her front door bright yellow, and after seeing a lot of other colorful front doors out there in blogland, I've got the itch! I hadn't really considered painting our door up until recently; I guess I've been so focused on the inside of the house.

But the more I look at our non-descript door, the more I realize that it needs a makeover! A fresh coat of paint would do wonders to make our big, empty porch look a little more welcoming (well, that and getting some patio furniture or big planters would help too.)

So the question is, of course, what hue to choose?? My first instinct is red, even though some may say that's overdone. It would definitely inject more personality than this yawn-inducing beige does. And even though we have reddish brick, I think red would still be a nice pop against the white trim of the doorway.



My pondering led me to to the all-knowing Google, where I searched "front door colors." I found a lot of articles on front door feng shui. According to this one and this one, our north-facing front door should be either black (no), white (no), or blue (maybe??). And red is apparently recommended for south-facing doors. Ok, so maybe I'll break those feng shui rules...

I also found this article at HouseBeautiful.com, and I think these colors have some potential:
Benjamin Moore Moroccan Red 1309
 
Benjamin Moore Evening Sky 833
Pratt & Lambert Beeswax 11-6
 
The more I think about it, the more I might be digging this deep plum... but would it just look black on our shaded porch?
C2 Paint Wicked 6446

Then I found these inspiration pics on Google images. Don't these doors all look very welcoming?






We probably won't get around to any painting until the weather warms up (which will hopefully be SOON), but that gives me time to think about it. So here's where you come in... considering the rest of the exterior, what color do you think would look best on our front door? Maybe it's not even one I've mentioned. I know you've all got good taste, so lemme hear it!



.

19 comments:

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

oh, i LOVE your ideas, amanda! i think painting your front door would make a huge difference (not that it looks bad now).

my vote is that blue -- i LOVE that blue, and i haven't seen that a lot. i also REALLY like the plum, but i completely agree that it will just end up looking shaded unless you go brighter, which could end up very grape-like.

what about something like this...

http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com/2010/02/when-where-what-004.html

kelly

Amy @ Design-Aholic said...

Hey Amanda- what great colors you sampled!

Your porch looks pretty shaded... Would you want to see the door from the street? Or, just up close where you're standing there? I really like the blue and plum as well, but the yellow would really pop from the street. That red sure would be traditional with the brick, but I love brick and red! :)

Good luck!

Sharon said...

I love red doors ... but the Evening Sky blue is really beautiful.... even in the shade of your porch I think it would show up.

micah said...

OOHHHH fun!! That HB article is where I found my front door color - Sunburst.

This is a tough one... I am drawn to Beeswax (of course) and Evening Sky.

Dolores said...

I'm with Micah on his one. Evening Sky and Beeswax are my favorite.

Cindy @The Flipping Couple said...

I'm surprised to hear myself say this, but I really love the blue. Can't wait to see what you do with it!!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I think yellow is just in your blood... go for it!

ps They're all great ideas, you really can't go wrong.

Meg said...

Agreed with Kasey and everyone else. Anything will look great, but I'm drawn to the yellow. The blue would be lovely as well, but maybe not as visible from the street. Can't wait to see what you pick! I think you're brilliant to paint it.

Lauren @ withTWOcats said...

I love the red (very classic), plum (very now) and yellow (so fun and will really pop!). The sage green would look nice as well, but in a quieter way. Really though, I don't think you can go wrong - you made some great choices!

Lauren @ withTWOcats said...

I love the red (very classic), plum (very now) and yellow (so fun and will really pop!). The sage green would look nice as well, but in a quieter way. Really though, I don't think you can go wrong - you made some great choices!

kristi.w. said...

I vote for red because that's what our door is. :)

Unknown said...

We are paiting our front door red, it goes with our colors - grey, black and white.

For your front door - that deep Navy 'Blue Morning Sky' would look really pretty! I'm not a huge fan of red brick with a red door...

More Style Than Cash said...

If you are waiting for the warm weather you could be daring and match your front door to flowers you plant in the front yard. Imagine the impact it would make if you were to line your walk way with yellow flowers that would lead to the same yellow on your front door.

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Ooo - I love that blue! I have also been thinking about making some updates to the front of the house once the weather warms up...

Danielle

Amanda said...

I think the yellow would look great against the white trim (as long as your sis doesn't mind, haha). Great articles too!

Bria & Spencer said...

im a sucker for red doors. I can't wait till spring to paint mine!

But with your house color, I think the blue would be really nice too..couldn't pull it off at my black n white pad!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Wow. Those steel front doors are really beautiful. I like the colored door, though. It reminds me of my husband who's addicted with the color. He's actually planning to have out door repainted with green for the Holidays.

Unknown said...

Doors must be warm enough to make your guests feel welcomed. Your color choice will reflect or say a lot about your character. Anyway, I like your door inspirations, especially the blue ones.

-Jesse Morrison @ JonWrightRoofing

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails