This little garage sale treasure has been sitting on a night stand in our guest room for a couple of years now. I think I bought it for a whopping $2. I like the base just fine, but the ugly shade has been begging for a facelift.
During a recent trip to Hancock Fabrics, I spotted some clearance fabric with a fabulous print in the remnants bin. It was $4 for two yards, so I snatched it up.
I wasn’t quite sure of the best way to cover the shade, so I basically just rolled it up in the fabric and cut along the top and bottom outline, leaving about 1” extra.
The result was a shape like this:
I did my best to iron out the wrinkles, then used Steam-A-Seam to create a hem on one edge, so I wouldn’t have a rough edge on the back of the shade.
After that, it was just a matter of gluing the top and bottom edges onto the inside of the shade (I used Aileen’s craft glue because that’s what I already had on hand). This part took a little longer than expected, but after awhile I had it all glued on.
And here she is in all her glory, back on the nightstand.
I think it would be fun to add some beaded trim on the bottom, but considering it took me two years to finally cover the shade, who knows how long it'll be before I get around to the trim! Also, ideally I would add some ribbon or something on the inside of the shade to hide the edges of the overlapped fabric.
I love how the colors in the fabric tie in the other accents in the room, like my DIY canvas art.
And just for added effect, here's the official Before & After!
Simple as it was, I really liked this makeover. For a few bucks, it makes a big difference! Plus, I still have plenty of fabric leftover for another project.
Linking up to...
What I Whipped Up Wednesday
What I Made Wednesdays
Weekend Bloggy Reading
One More Time Link Party